Speech and Debate Team
Attention Highland Speech and Debate Team ~
Important meetings for you to attend…
- Mattress Fundraiser Kick-off Meeting: We need you here to receive important information about this fundraiser that helps to provide the majority of our funds each year’s competition season. The meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, August 27 in the high school media center. Please be on time and make sure all fellow members are here!
- New Recruit Opportunity after school Wednesday, August 27 in the high school media center. All new and interested students are welcome to attend. If you are interested in learning about or joining the team this year, please see Mrs. Burtoft.
- Parent/Team Meeting: Thursday night August 28 at 6:30 p.m. in the high school library. Please invite and bring your parents to this very important meeting. We need your parent’s support as we look ahead to this year’s tournament at HHS! All questions will be answered. This is a mandatory student/parent meeting.
- Team Meetings the 3rd Tuesday of the Month: Our first, team meeting will be Tuesday, September 16 after school in Mrs. Burtoft’s room.
- New Members’ Breakfast: Friday, September 19 in B124 for all new, team members, mentors and officers.
- Mattress Fundraiser: Saturday, September 20.
We Need Your Support!
Online donations for the team can be made through the Highland Pay For It link. Click on the donations box and choose Speech and Debate Team.
2014-15 Tournament Schedule:
* Final season tournaments are MANDATORY (unless otherwise notified by coach)
|10/25/14||Glen Oak High School Novice|
|10/31/14 (debate); 11/1/14 (both teams)||Perry High School|
|11/8/14||Wadsworth High School|
|11/15/14||Copley High School|
|12/6/14||North Canton Hoover|
|12/12/14 (debate only); 12/13/14||Glen Oak High School|
|12/13/14 (speech only)||Vermillion or Canton McKinley|
|12/19/14 (2-day debate); 12/20/14 (all)||Highland High School|
|1/10/15||Berea High School (or Sylvania)*|
|1/17/15||Wooster High School|
|1/24/15||Norton High School|
|1/29/15||Highland Community Night|
|2/20/15 (debate); 2/21/15 (both teams)||EONFL Districts at Medina|
|3/5-7/15||State Tourney in Youngstown|
*In order to be considered to attend the Sylvania Tournament, students must qualify in the following categories:
• Competed in all six of the first tournaments of the season (Highland Tournament is the cut-off)
• Placed a minimum of three times out of the six
• Competitors must be a current senior
• Competitor’s parents must pay for hotel, transportation and be available to judge at tournament. This is a two-day event.
Speech and Debate Team Council 2014-2015:
- President: Chris Pace
- Vice president: Sara Hoose
- New Member Coordinator: Abbey McMaster
- Speech: Abbey McMaster
- Debate: Maha Rashid
- Secretary / Data: Lucy Palladino (publicity)
- Treasurer: Melissa Bakes
- Fundraiser: Rachel Boedicker
- Social Events Coordinator: Lydia and Amelia Mainzer
- Photographer: Emily Holmberg and Katie Withrow
- Mentors: Rachel Boedicker – LD; Amelia Mainzer – PP; Brianna Pinchot – Policy; Jacob Lewton – PF; Abbey McMaster – OI; Melissa Bakes – Duo; Chris Pace – Imp; Carissa Temerson – Congress; Hanna Brickman– HI; Carolyn Kusoski – OO.