Speech and Debate Team
HHS Speech & Debate Team 2014-15 Tourney Results
Highland Speech and Debate Team competed at the North Canton Rotary Hoover Invitational Tournament on December 6. The team placed 4th out of 20 teams. Helping to lead the team’s charge were: In Student Congress, Sara Hoose placed 5th and Carissa Temerson was 2nd; Maha Rashid and Jacob Lewton were 6th and Noah Zona and Austin Levan were 3rd in Public Forum Debate; In Lincoln Douglas Debate, Braden Webb was 6th and Rachel Boedicker was the tournament champion; in Expository Speaking, Abby Catron placed 4th and Chris Pace was the tournament champion.
Highland Speech and Debate Team placed 3rd out of 16 team on November 15 at the Copley High School Tournament. Placing for the team were:
- Hannah Stein, 6th in International Extemporaneous Speaking
- Rachel Boedicker, 4th in Lincoln Douglas Debate
- Brian Blum and Maha Rashid, 4th in Public Forum Debate
- Suzanne Mead and Jacob Lewton, 6th in Public Forum Debate
- Sara Hoose, 4th in Student Congress
- Carissa Temerson, 3rd in Student Congress
- Lydia Mainzer, 2nd in Student Congress
- Abby Catron, 6th in Expository Speaking
- Jake Severyn, 5th in Expository Speaking
- Joey Chema and Chris Pace tied for 3rd in Expository Speaking
- Carolyn Kusoski, 2nd in Original Oratory
- Earning a Bid towards the State Tournament were: Chris Pace, Joey Chema and Carolyn Kusoski.
Glen Oak Novice Tournament Results: Placing for the team were: Ben Rife and Hailey Dusting, 6th place in Policy Debate; Olivia Severyn, 5th in Original Oratory; In United States Extemporaneous Speaking, Maison DeWalt placed 5th, Grace Gaddis was 4th and Tyler Schultz placed 2nd. Lauren Johnson and Ben Lewton placed 2nd in Duo Interpretation. This was the best novice showing the team has had to date.
Perry Tournament Results: Congratulations to Chris Pace for placing 2nd in Expository Speaking! Several of our team were able to secure a "bid" towards pre-qualifying for this year's state tournament. Earning one of the four needed bids were Chris Pace, Abby McMaster, Maha Rashid and Suzanne Mead. (Bid receivers pictured above)
Placing for the team were Carissa Temerson who was 6th in her chamber in Student Congress, while Sarah Hoose placed 3rd in her chamber. The following students not only placed at the tournament, but also earned a “Bid” towards qualifying to this year’s state tournament. They are: Rachel Boedicker, 5th in Lincoln Douglas Debate; Carolyn Kusoski, 5th in Original Oratory; Jake Severyn, 5th in Expository Speaking; Maha Rashid and Jacob Lewton, 2nd in Public Forum Debate. The team competed against 26 tournaments and was short one point from making the Top Six teams. The success was a team effort; congratulations to all competitors!
We Need Your Support!
Online donations for the team can be made through the Highland Pay For It link. Click on the donations box and choose Speech and Debate Team.
Speech-Debate Team Sponsor Form 2014
2014-15 Tournament Schedule:
* Final season tournaments are MANDATORY (unless otherwise notified by coach)
|10/25/14||Glen Oak High School Novice|
|10/31/14 (debate); 11/1/14 (both teams)||Perry High School|
|11/8/14||Wadsworth High School|
|11/15/14||Copley High School|
|12/6/14||North Canton Hoover|
|12/12/14 (debate only); 12/13/14||Glen Oak High School|
|12/13/14 (speech only)||Vermillion or Canton McKinley|
|12/19/14 (2-day debate); 12/20/14 (all)||Highland High School|
|1/10/15||Berea High School (or Sylvania)*|
|1/17/15||Wooster High School|
|1/24/15||Norton High School|
|1/29/15||Highland Community Night|
|2/20/15 (debate); 2/21/15 (both teams)||EONFL Districts at Medina|
|3/5-7/15||State Tourney in Youngstown|
*In order to be considered to attend the Sylvania Tournament, students must qualify in the following categories:
• Competed in all six of the first tournaments of the season (Highland Tournament is the cut-off)
• Placed a minimum of three times out of the six
• Competitors must be a current senior
• Competitor’s parents must pay for hotel, transportation and be available to judge at tournament. This is a two-day event.
|The Chad & Robin Mead Family||Angela R. Gasser, D.D.S.|
|Mr. & Mrs. Blum / Dunkin Donuts||Mr. & Mrs. Brickman|
|Mark & Glenna Jackson||Mr. & Mrs. Palladino|
|Mark & Angie Sollenberger||Mark & Dana Schultz|
|Paul & Barbara Wright|
Speech and Debate Team Council 2014-2015:
- President: Chris Pace
- Vice president: Sara Hoose
- New Member Coordinator: Abbey McMaster
- Speech: Abbey McMaster
- Debate: Maha Rashid
- Secretary / Data: Lucy Palladino (publicity)
- Treasurer: Melissa Bakes
- Fundraiser: Rachel Boedicker
- Social Events Coordinator: Lydia and Amelia Mainzer
- Photographer: Emily Holmberg and Katie Withrow
- Mentors: Rachel Boedicker – LD; Amelia Mainzer – PP; Brianna Pinchot – Policy; Jacob Lewton – PF; Abbey McMaster – OI; Melissa Bakes – Duo; Chris Pace – Imp; Carissa Temerson – Congress; Hanna Brickman– HI; Carolyn Kusoski – OO; Chris Wright – Drama; Kelly Meaden – USX/IX.