Speech and Debate Team
|Thanks to our 2012-13 Corporate Sponsors!|
|Angela R. Gasser, DDS (Gold Sponsor)
|Wissel's Auto Repair (Silver Sponsor)
Dr. Norman & Jean Christopher (Silver Sponsor)
|John & Janet Sours (Silver Sponsor)
|J.M. Smucker Company (Silver Sponsor)
|Bil-Jac Foods, Inc. (Silver Sponsor)
|Owens-Corning (Silver Sponsor)|
Highland's Tournament Results
On 2/28 and 3/1, Highland Speech and Debate Team participated in the OHSSL State Tournament. Advancing for the team to the Semi Final round in Student Congress was Sara Hoose. Continuing to the top 12 in the semi-final round were Carolyn Kusosk in Original Oratoryi, Ben Lewis and Jeff Rolland in Impromptu Speaking and John DiGiacobbe in United States Extemporaneous Speaking. Overall, Ben Lewis placed 5th in the state, and John DiGiacobbe was the 2nd place, runner-up. This is the first time we have had students trophy in Individual Events placing in the top six of the state. (See above photo)
- Despite the snow and cold, Highland's Speech and Debate Team was HOT on 1/25/14 at the Akron District State Qualifying Tournament. The team will be sending a record number of students to the State Tournament to be held in Wooster this year. Qualifying for Highland to state's were:
- Emily Nosek in Humorous Interpretation;
- Abbey McMaster in Oratorical Interpretation;
- Haleigh Copley in Prose Poetry,
- Policy Debate Team of Anna Sollenberger and Brianna Pinchot;
- Public Forum Debate teams of Maddie Anich and Liz Schmidt, Austin Levan and Noah Zona;
- Qualifying in Impromptu Speaking were Jeff Rolland, Ben Lewis, and Chris Pace;
- Christine Withrow and Carolyn Kusoski qualified in Original Oratory;
- John DiGiacobbe was District Champion in United States Extemporaneous Speaking.
- Also representing the team will be Lydia Mainzer, Sarah Hoose, and Carissa Temerson in Student Congress bringing the total number attending the state tournament to 19!
- Highland Speech and Debate Team WON its first tournament of the season on 1/11/14 at the 10th annual Berea Grindstone Tournament! Leading the charge for the team were:
- Allison Jackson and Melissa Bakes placing fifth in Duo Interpretation;
- Rachel Boedicker placed fifth in Lincoln Douglas Debate;
- Carissa Temerson was 6th in her chamber of Student Congress;
- Lydia Mainzer was 2nd in her chamber of Student Congress;
- Carolyn Kusoski placed third in Original Oratory;
- John DiGiacobbe placed second in United States Extemporaneous Speaking;
- Jeff Rolland placed fourth in Impromptu Speaking;
- Ben Lewis placed second in Impromptu Speaking.
- Liz Schmidt and Maddie Anich competed at the two-day Sylvania Tounament in Public Forum Debate. The girls advanced to the elimination rounds.
- The HHS team tied for 5th place in the team sweeps with Wadsworth at the Highland tourney on 12/21/13. Emily Nosek placed 4th in Humorous Interpretation; John DiGiacobbe placed 4th in United States Extemporaneous Speaking; Carolyn Kusoski placed 2nd in Original Oratory; Jeff Rolland placed 4th in Impromptu Speaking and Ben Lewis was Highland's Tournament Champion in the same event. Lydia Mainzer and Carissa Temerson both advanced to Super Congress.
- The team competed against 18 teams on December 7 at North Canton Hoover High School and emerged with four tournament champions and a total of 10 students trophy for the day. They captured 4th place in the team sweeps. Placing for the team were:
- Chad Eichhorn, 5th in International Extemporaneous Speaking;
- Amelia Mainzer, 6th in Prose Poetry;
- Emily Nosek, 5th in Humorous Interpretation;
- Lydia Mainzer, 6th in her chamber in Student Congress;
- Ben Lewis, 3rd in Impromptu Speaking;
- Jeff Rolland was tournament champion in Impromptu Speaking;
- John DiGiacobbe was tournament champion in US Extemporaneous Speaking;
- Rachel Boedicker was tournament champion in Lincoln Douglas Debate;
- Maha Rashid and Jacob Lewton placed 3rd in Public Forum Debate;
- Maddie Anich and Liz Schmidt were tournament champions in Public Forum Debate.
- The team also competed on December 14 at both Vermillion and Glen Oak tournaments. The team placed a total of nine students, bringing home a 3rd place in the team sweeps with only part of the team at Vermillion. Placing for the team were: Highland’s Debaters competed at the two-day Glen Oak Debate Tournament on 12/13-14. Rachel Boedicker, Jacob Lewton and Maha Rashid broke into the final 48, while Carissa Temerson qualified for Super Congress. Liz Schmidt and Maddie Anich were quarter finalists. Congratulations to all the team members on their fine showing!
- Kelly Meaden, 6th in US Extemporaneous Speaking;
- Hannah Stein, 5th and Morgan Staten placed 2nd in International Extemporaneous Speaking;
- Amelia Mainzer, 6th in Prose Poetry;
- Emily Nosek, 2nd in Humorous Interpretation;
- Jeff Rolland, 3rd in Impromptu Speaking;
- Christine Withrow, 6th in Original Oratory;
- Melissa Bakes and Allison Jackson, 3rd in Duo Interpretation;
- Abby McMaster, 6th in Oratorical Interpretation.
We Need Your Support!
Online donations for the team can be made through the Highland Pay For It link. Click on the donations box and choose Speech and Debate Team.
2013-14 Tournament Schedule:
* Final season tournaments are MANDATORY (unless otherwise notified by coach)
|10/26/13||Glen Oak High School Novice|
|11/1/13 (debate); 11/2/12 (both teams)||Perry High School|
|11/9/13||Wadsworth High School|
|11/16/13||Copley High School|
|11/23/13||Mentor High School|
|12/7/13||North Canton Hoover|
|12/13/13 (debate only); 12/14/13||Glen Oak High School|
|12/14/13 (speech only)||Vermillion High School|
|12/21/13||Highland High School|
|1/11/14||Berea High School (or *Sylvania)|
|1/17/14 (debate); 1/18/14 (all events) (Power)||Wooster High School|
|1/25/14||Akron Tourney at Medina HS|
|1/31/14 (REQUIRED)||Community Night - HHS|
|2/14/14 (debate); 2/15/14 (both teams)||EONFL Districts at Glen Oak|
|2/27/14 (coaches); 2/28/14; 3/1/14||State Tourney in Wooster|
* In order to be considered to attend the Sylvania Tournament, students must qualify in the following categories:
• Competed in all six of the first tournaments of the season (Highland Tournament is the cut-off)
• Placed a minimum of three times out of the six
• Competitors must be a current senior
• Competitor’s parents must pay for hotel, transportation and be available to judge at tournament. This is a two-day event.
Speech and Debate Team Council 2013-14
- President: Maha Rashid
- New Member Coordinator: Ben Lewis (speech), Sarah Hoose (debate)
- Social Events Coordinators: Liz Schmidt, Heidi Kuchta
- Mentors: Rachel Boedicker (LD), Haleigh Copley (PP), Heidi Kuchta (Policy), Jacob Lewton (PF), Abbey McMaster (OI), Emily Nosek (Duo), Jeff Rolland (Imp), Carissa Temerson (Congress), Gordon Wigton (HI), Christine Withrow (OO).
- Speech Rep: Chris Pace
- Debate Rep: Maddie Anich
- Publicity Coordinator: Abbey McMaster
- Secretary/Data: Emily Nosek
- Treasurer: Christine Withrow
- Photographers: Tanner Steinbacher, Rachel Boedicker
- Fundraiser: Morgan Staten